- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The only way to reach Ocracoke Island is by ferry or private boat. State car ferries land at either end of the island and depart as late as 8 pm to Cedar Island and midnight to Hatteras Island. Only one road, Route 12, traverses the island. Quiet streets shoot off to the left and right at the south end. Lots of cyclists come to Ocracoke, and many inns have bikes guests may use, but be careful when biking Route 12 from one end of the island to the other in summer; traffic can be heavy, and the designated bike path doesn't travel the highway's entire 13-mile length.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's