- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kitty Hawk Kites. The premier hang-gliding outfitter in the country, Kitty Hawk Kites—in business since 1974—gives beginner dune lessons. The only requirement is that you must be able to run approximately 10 yards; kids as young as 4 and persons with most types of physical challenges can be accommodated. Jockey's Ridge is a favorite spot to learn, and instruction packages start at $99. Those with the gumption can try a high-altitude tandem flight that soars up to a mile high. History buffs can try flying a reproduction of the Wright Brothers' 1902 glider. Kitty Hawk Kites also sells wind toys and gives kayaking, kiteboarding, parasailing, and paddleboarding classes and leads guided walking tours. You can pick up sports gear and sportswear, plus souvenirs. U.S. 158, MM 12.5, 3925 S. Croatan Hwy., Nags Head, NC, 27959. 800/483–2808; 252/449–2210 Nags Head. www.kittyhawk.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's