- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kitty Hawk Kites. The premier hang-gliding outfitter in the country, Kitty Hawk Kites—in business since 1974—gives beginner dune lessons. The only requirement is that you must be able to run approximately 10 yards; kids as young as 4 and persons with most types of physical challenges can be accommodated. Jockey's Ridge is a favorite spot to learn, and instruction packages start at $99. Those with the gumption can try a high-altitude tandem flight that soars up to a mile high. History buffs can try flying a reproduction of the Wright Brothers' 1902 glider. Kitty Hawk Kites also sells wind toys and gives kayaking, kiteboarding, parasailing, and paddleboarding classes and leads guided walking tours. You can pick up sports gear and sportswear, plus souvenirs. U.S. 158, MM 12.5, 3925 S. Croatan Hwy., Nags Head, NC, 27959. 800/483-2808; 252/449-2210 Nags Head. www.kittyhawk.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines