- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Two wreck sites popular for scuba diving are the former 255-foot German gunship Schurz, seized by the United States and sunk following a collision in 1918, and the Papoose, a 412-foot tanker sunk by a German torpedo in 1942, which is now inhabited by docile sand tiger sharks.
Olympus Dive Center. With three dive boats Olympus Dive Center offers full- and half-day charters, special charters for divers seeking decompression certification, equipment rental, and lessons. In addition to wreck excursions, it sponsors spearfishing charters and shark expeditions. 713 Shepard St., Morehead City, NC, 28557. 252/726–9432. www.olympusdiving.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe