- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Two wreck sites popular for scuba diving are the former 255-foot German gunship Schurz, seized by the United States and sunk following a collision in 1918, and the Papoose, a 412-foot tanker sunk by a German torpedo in 1942, which is now inhabited by docile sand tiger sharks.
Olympus Dive Center. With three dive boats Olympus Dive Center offers full- and half-day charters, special charters for divers seeking decompression certification, equipment rental, and lessons. In addition to wreck excursions, it sponsors spearfishing charters and shark expeditions. 713 Shepard St., Morehead City, NC, 28557. 252/726-9432. www.olympusdiving.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore Wilmington For Less! Book Fr $149+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $45/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Wilmington Fr $152+/Nt Expedia
- $14.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Wilmington Hotwire
- $127 & Up: Cheap Wilmington Stay — $127 Save with Hotels.com, $42/night less
- $12.95 & up : Compact rentals in Wilmington — $13 Hotwire