The North Carolina Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Water, water everywhere: Surfers delight in Cape Hatteras's formidable waves. Kayakers and boaters prefer the Crystal Coast's sleepy estuaries. Beach strollers love Ocracoke's remote, unspoiled shore.
Pirate lore and hidden booty: The Graveyard of the Atlantic is littered with shipwrecks to dive. See artifacts from Blackbeard's flagshipQueen Anne's Revengeat Beaufort's North Carolina Maritime Museum. Queen Anne's Revenge at Beaufort's North Carolina Maritime Museum.
Lighting the darkness: North Carolina's seven lighthouses each has its individual personality.
The Lost Colony: In a mystery for the ages, 117 settlers disappeared without a trace. Their story is presented both in historical context and dramatic entertainment in Manteo.
Fresh seafood: You can get fresh seafood of every variety fixed in practically every method—fried, grilled, stuffed, blackened, or raw.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe