- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Natives pronounce it "Bah-dy" not "Bow-dy." Folklore claims the local pronunciation harks back to the days when this corner of the Graveyard of the Atlantic was known as "Bodies Island" because of all the dead seafarers who washed onto the shores. The island remains mostly barren, but the boardwalks and observation decks on its marshes offer excellent opportunities to watch wading birds and to kayak or canoe through the inlets.
Elsewhere in The North Carolina Coast
- Cape Lookout National Seashore
- Hatteras Island
- Kure Beach and Carolina Beach
- Morehead City
- Nags Head
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's