- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
From Charlotte there's daily service to Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and points beyond, as well as daily service to the Triangle cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Cary. In Greensboro, Amtrak's Crescent stops in before continuing from New York to New Orleans (or vice versa). And the Carolinian also stops in Greensboro as it goes from Charlotte to Raleigh and then north to Baltimore, Washington, and New York. The in-state Piedmont connects nine cities—including Greensboro—between Raleigh and Charlotte each day.
Both southbound and northbound Amtrak trains—one daily in each direction—stop in Southern Pines.
Amtrak (800/872-7245. www.amtrak.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's