- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Beacon Ridge Golf & Country Club. Located in West End, a few miles from the village of Pinehurst, this well-regarded course boasts a classic layout by Gene Hamm and the biggest lake in Moore County (Lake Autumn). 102 Lake Way Dr., Pinehurst, NC, 27376. 910/673-2950. www.beaconridgegolfcc.com. 18 holes. 6494 yards. Par 72. Green Fee: $40-85. Facilities: Driving range, putting green, pitching area, golf carts, rental clubs, pro shop, golf academy/lessons, restaurant, bar.
National Golf Club. Constructed by golfing great Jack Nicklaus, this course features wide fairways and undulating putting surfaces (signature Nicklaus elements). Take note that since it's surrounded by a gated community, you must reserve your tee time in advance. 1 Royal Troon Dr., Pinehurst, NC, 27376. 910/295-4300 or 800/471-4339. www.nationalgolfclub.com. 18 holes. 7144 yards. Par 72. Green Fee: $175-225. Facilities: Driving range, putting green, pitching area, golf carts, rental clubs, pro shop, golf academy/lessons, restaurant, bar.
Pinehurst Resort. Pinehurst has been the site of more championships than any other golf resort in the country. The eight courses—known by their numbers—can bring a tear to a golfer's eye with their beauty. The courses range from the first, designed in 1898 by legendary Donald Ross, to the most recent, designed in 1995 by Tom Fazio to mark the resort's centennial. The hilly terrain of No. 7, completely renovated in 2003, makes it especially tough. 1 Carolina Vista Dr., Pinehurst, NC, 28374. 910/235-8125 or 800/487-4653. www.pinehurst.com. 8 18-hole courses. Average of 6600 yds. Par 70-72. Green Fee: $89-$410. Facilities: Driving range, putting green, pitching area, golf carts, caddies, rental clubs, pro shop, golf academy/lessons, restaurant, bar.
More Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $111 -- Charlotte City Center Hotel over Weekends, Save 60% Charlotte Marriott City Center
- $135 & up -- Charlotte, N.C.: Posh Uptown Hotel, $200 Off The Westin Charlotte