- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
High Point earned its name through simple geography: it was the highest point on the railroad line between Goldsboro and Charlotte. Nowadays the city's "high point" is hosting the semi-annual High Point Market, the largest wholesale furniture trade show in the world. Each spring and fall for about a week, so many people flood the town that its population of 104,000 nearly doubles. The rest of the year, the city can be pretty sleepy. Note that High Point does not have that many memorable restaurants. For more varied eats, check out nearby Greensboro or Winston-Salem.
High Point at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central North Carolina
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe