- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Peaceful hiking trails traverse the 3,830-acre Black Rock Forest Preserve and Consortium, just north of Storm King in Cornwall. In the 1800s loggers cut down the old-growth forest here to make way for farms. By the next century a restoration project was under way to bring the forest back, and the preserve remains an important educational and research site. Black Rock, the forest's highest peak, can be accessed from a number of trails. The Stillman Trail climbs through mountain laurel to the summit, which affords views of Storm King, the Schunnemunk Mountains, and the Shawangunks. Rte. 9W, Cornwall, NY, 12518. 845/534-4517. www.blackrockforest.org.
At the heart of the 1,900-acre Storm King State Park is Storm King Mountain, which is veined with hiking trails, many with spectacular views. The park is undeveloped, so there are no bathrooms and parking is limited. Hikers must heed posted warnings and restrictions and stick to marked trails here, because unexploded artillery shells from the neighboring military academy might be found off trails in area B of the park, in the south. Off Rte. 9W between Cornwall and West Point, NY, 12518. 845/786-2701. nysparks.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July — $191-$239 Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue