The Hudson Valley Sights



Huguenot Street Review

A National Historic Landmark, the street includes six stone houses that date from before 1720 and are among the oldest in the United States. Indeed, parts of the Jean Hasbrouck, Abraham Hasbrouck, and Bevier-Elting houses were built in the 1680s, soon after the founding of New Paltz, in 1677. Another building, the French church, is a reconstruction of the 1717 structure, which was torn down in the early 19th century. The Huguenot Historical Society owns the buildings, many of which contain original furnishings and architectural details, and runs tours of them. The hour-long tour includes an orientation, one house, and the church; the longer tour, about 90 minutes, includes two additional houses. Tours begin on the hour. The tour office is in the 1705 DuBois Fort, on Huguenot Street between Broadhead Avenue and North Front Street. During the one-day Colonial Street Festival, held in August, the church and the stone houses are all open; weaving, quilting, butter churning, musket firing, sheep shearing, and African-American storytelling are demonstrated.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 64 Huguenot St., New Paltz, NY 12561 | Map It
  • Phone: 845/255–1889; 845/255–1660
  • Cost: Short tour $7, long tour $10
  • Hours: Tours May–Oct., Thurs.–Tues. 10–4
  • Website:
  • Location: New Paltz

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property


View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories