- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Although only a 35-minute car ride from Manhattan, the Hudson River village of Nyack retains a small-town charm. Elegant mansions and Victorian stunners mix with modest homes as well as delightful shops and fine restaurants. For a scenic drive with glimpses of the river, take Main Street to North Broadway and turn left to follow it north to Hook Mountain.
The arts have long played an important role in Nyack, the birthplace of realist painter Edward Hopper. Today Hopper's house is a community cultural center and exhibit space. Nyack was also the longtime home of stage actress Helen Hayes, for whom a thriving local theater is named.
Nyack at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Hudson Valley
- Annandale-on-Hudson and Tivoli
- Cold Spring
- Harriman and Bear Mountain State Parks
- High Falls
- Hyde Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's