- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Eastern Mountain Sports, originally a catalog store, has been a favorite among campers, climbers, and hikers for decades. It carries everything a climber might need—to rent or buy—and offers classes in rock and ice climbing. 3124 U.S. 44/Rte. 55, Gardiner, NY, 12561. 845/255–3280 or 800/310–4504. www.emsclimb.com.
Opened in 1970 by Dick Williams, one of the pioneers of climbing in the Shawangunk Mountains, Rock & Snow sells everything you need for rock and ice climbing, camping, hiking, and cross-country skiing. It also carries maps, and can hook you up with lessons and licensed guides. You can rent some of the equipment. 44 Main St., New Paltz, NY, 12561. 845/255-1311. www.rockandsnow.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Multisport Shops
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's