- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A vibrant cultural scene, a magnificent natural setting, and abundant outdoor activities are among the draws of this small college town, home to a State University of New York campus. The school lures serious students of the arts, many of whom end up living in the area after graduation. These artists, craftspeople, writers, and musicians have helped make this an energetic place with diverse shopping, dining, and arts offerings.
Founded in 1677 by Huguenots who received a patent from the colonial governor, New Paltz is one of the oldest communities in the United States. The settlers originally wanted to build on the flats, on the west side of the Wallkill River, but rethought that plan after the American Indians warned them about the river's spring floods. Building on the higher, eastern bank was an excellent decision: buildings dating from the early 1700s still stand throughout town. Several serve as bed-and-breakfasts today, so you can experience them personally.
In the distance, beyond a main street of casual eateries and quirky shops, rise the craggy cliffs of the Shawangunk Mountains. With steep faces of white quartzite conglomerate that reach more than 2,000 feet above sea level at some points, the Gunks, as they're casually known, are a premier destination for rock climbers in the northeast. Sky Top Tower, which sits atop a prominent ledge, is a landmark for miles around.
New Paltz at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Hudson Valley
- Annandale-on-Hudson and Tivoli
- Cold Spring
- Harriman and Bear Mountain State Parks
- High Falls
- Hyde Park
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $191-$239 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July — $191-$239 Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue