- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Taughannock Falls State Park. Stunningly steep shale cliffs and rock surround the 215-foot-high Taughannock Falls, which are 30 feet higher than Niagara Falls. A level ¾-mi path takes you from the parking lot to the falls. Autumn is perhaps the most dramatic time of year to see the gorge, but the waterway is breathtaking any time of year. And, unlike many of the rim trails that surround other Finger Lakes gorges, the trail at the glen's bottom here is open all year. Camping and swimming are allowed in season. The park, which straddles Route 89, has playgrounds, a boat launch, and picnic grounds fronting Cayuga Lake. Rte. 89, 8 mi north of Ithaca, Trumansburg, NY, 14886. 607/387–6739. nysparks.state.ny.us. Parking $7 Memorial Day–Labor Day and weekends Apr., May, Sept. and Oct.; free at other times. Daily dawn–dusk.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's