- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Rochester Americans, an American Hockey League team, is affiliated with the National Hockey League's Buffalo Sabres. The team, nicknamed the Amerks, is a perennial contender and has won several Calder Cup championships. The season runs October to April. Ticket prices are $10–$22. Blue Cross Arena, 1 War Memorial Sq., Rochester, NY, 14614. 585/454–5335. www.amerks.com.
Some of baseball's greats—Stan Musial and Cal Ripken Jr., to name two from different eras—played for the Rochester Red Wings. The Triple-A International League team's downtown stadium is across from the High Falls entertainment district. Tickets are $6.50–$10.50. Frontier Field, 1 Morrie Silver Way, Rochester, NY, 14608. 585/423–9464. www.redwingsbaseball.com.
Soccer may be a foreign sport in much of the rest of the country, but in Rochester it's a fan favorite. The Rochester Raging Rhinos play in the A-League, a step below Major League Soccer, although they've defeated top teams many times. The season runs from May to September. Tickets are $14–$20. 460 Oak St., Rochester, NY, 14608. 585/454–5425. www.rhinossoccer.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Spectator Sports
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's