- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Finger Lakes National Forest
Finger Lakes National Forest Review
On a ridge between the southern ends of Cayuga and Seneca lakes, 9 mi north of Watkins Glen, the national forest offers more than 30 mi of easy-to-moderate hiking trails through a variety of terrain. The land was patched together when the federal government purchased about 100 farms between 1938 and 1941. The forest encompasses 16,032 acres, so you might feel like you have the place to yourself—regardless of whether you're camping, cross-country skiing, fishing, or hunting. The forest's altitude is higher than most surrounding points, so great vistas are yours for the hiking. Trail maps are available at some trailheads and at the visitor center.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $76.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Syracuse Hotwire
- $65.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Ithaca Hotwire
- Look no Further! Rochester 8 Nts + Air as Low as $614 Travelocity
- $38.57 & up : Compact rentals in Ithaca Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Syracuse this Jun Fr $123+/Nt — $123 Expedia
Warning - this is pretty long!
My sister (60, from Rhode Island) and I (56, from Florida) decided it would be fun to spend Memorial Day weekend in New York City, specifically in Manhattan. She had bee Read more
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
I have posted this before but the time is closely arriving. Read more