- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
George Eastman House
George Eastman House Review
The sprawling colonial-revival mansion, once the home of Eastman Kodak's founder, has been restored to its early-1900s appearance. The elephant head on the wall in the conservatory is an eye-catcher, and the rest of the house gives a glimpse into the life and times of the man who brought photography to the masses. Much of the second floor is used as gallery space. The grounds include a rock garden with scallop-shaped flower beds, a formal terrace garden with more than 90 types of perennials, a cutting garden, a lily pool, and a grape arbor. The International Museum of Photography and Film, connected to the mansion, has changing exhibits about the history of photography and film technology; the permanent collection includes tens of thousands of photos, books, and films as well as photographic equipment. Also here is the Dryden Theatre, which shows movies ($7) and hosts film festivals.
- Address: 900 East Ave., Rochester, NY 14607 | Map It
- Phone: 585/271–3361
- Cost: $10
- Hours: May daily 10–5; June–Apr., Tues., Wed., Fri., Sat. 10–5, Thurs. 10–8, Sun. 1–5. House tours Tues.–Sat. at 10:30 and 2, Sun. at 2. Garden tours May–Sept. Tues.–Sat. at 11:30 and 3, Sun. at 3.
- Website: www.eastmanhouse.org
- Location: Rochester
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
After doing A LOT of looking, I'm down to three hotels for our pre-Christmas visit. Read more
· News & Features
The East Coast's preeminent wine region stretches in the rolling hills between the three main Finger Lakes, ... Read more
Sometimes, a girl just needs to get away for the weekend for a little relaxation and rejuvenation.... Read more