The property's simple white clapboard house is where, beginning in 1890, Harriet Tubman tended to elderly African-Americans; the adjacent brick house served as her primary residence. Before Emancipation, Tubman led more than 300 slaves to freedom in the North. At the encouragement of William Seward, an abolitionist who served in two presidential cabinets, she settled in Auburn in the late 1850s. Seward and his family lived on the same road, a mile closer to town. The brick
house isn't currently open to the public (though it's being restored for future visits), but Tubman's carved wooden bed and her Bible are displayed in the white clapboard building. Tours are given hourly.
180 South St., Auburn, New York, 13021, United States