- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The small village, which incorporated in 1833 and took its name from its early Pennsylvania and Yankee residents, is at the north end of Keuka Lake. Penn Yan is the seat of Yates County as well as home to Birkett Mills, one of the largest producers of buckwheat in the world. Visitors come here mainly for the wineries, spectacular lake views, summer recreational opportunities, and vibrant fall foliage. A drive down the main street, with its shops, restaurants, and Victorian-style houses, is a drive through small-town America. Members of the Mennonite community mix in with the traffic in their horses and buggies.
Penn Yan at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Finger Lakes
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's