- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hammondsport, a small village nestled between soft hills at the southern end of Keuka Lake, is close to a number of quality wineries and an excellent wine-touring base. Native son Glenn Curtiss made the world's first publicly observed, preannounced flight here—a 5,090-foot trip aboard the June Bug in 1908. Hammondsport has interesting stores, including antiques shops and local crafts purveyors, and there are several small restaurants in town and along the lake.
Hammondsport at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Finger Lakes
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's