The Finger Lakes Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to The Finger Lakes
Wineries: Finger Lakes wineries are coming in to their own, and touring vineyards has become quite the industry for this part of the state. Follow the organized wine trails or just pop into a local winery for a tasting.
Gorges and waterfalls: "Ithaca is gorges," proclaim the bumper stickers, and it's true. The south-center Finger Lakes region is littered with canyons and waterfalls. Farther west is the dramatic Letchworth State Park and its 17-mi gorge.
Outdoor adventure: More than 25 state parks, a national wildlife refuge, a national forest, and all those lakes make for excellent hiking, biking, boating, fishing, or just taking in the scenery.
History lessons: This corner of the country was a hotbed of change, innovation, and progressivism in the 19th century—a place where suffragists rabble-roused, secretaries of state orated, and abolitionists converged. Museums and historic homes pay tribute to these movers and shakers of centuries past.
Food: fresh and local: From roadside farm stands to winery restaurants, the Finger Lakes region seems to be experiencing a culinary renaissance, with chefs drawing from the abundance of this agriculturally rich region.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's