- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With a 1,200-foot vertical drop, the Bristol Mountain Resort, south of town, has the highest vertical rise on any ski area between the Adirondacks and the Rockies. The area has 33 slopes and trails, almost all with lighting and snowmaking capability. The longest run is 2 mi; about half of the runs are for intermediate skiers, with about 20% for advanced skiers and 30% for beginners. Skiing and snowboarding lessons are available. The Nordic Center, at the summit, has 3 km (2 mi) of trails for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. The season usually runs from November through first week in April. In fall you can take in the foliage on a chairlift ride; hiking back down is an option. 5662 Rte. 64, Canandaigua, NY, 14424. 585/374–6000. www.bristolmountain.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe