- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Long a favorite vacation destination for Rochester residents, this small city (population about 11,200) sits at the north end of 16-mi-long Canandaigua Lake. It was here that the 1794 Pickering Treaty was signed, brokering peace between the Iroquois and the U.S. government. Canandaigua's majestic courthouse, which still looms over Main Street, was the site of Susan B. Anthony's trial and conviction—she was found guilty of treason for voting in the 1872 election.
The wide main street with granite curbing is lined with stately Victorians in the north end of town. Heading south you pass through a downtown area with shops before you come to the lake. City Pier, which dates from 1847, is home to an eclectic mix of boathouses. Nearby Kershaw Park is a perfect place for a swim or a stroll.
Canandaigua at a Glance
- Constellation Brands Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center
- Historic Downtown Canandaigua Arts Festival
Elsewhere in The Finger Lakes
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Comfort Inn Fairgrounds on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $107+/Nt Expedia
- Syracuse Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $193+/Nt Expedia
- Super Savings on Rochester 7 Nts Htl + Air Fr $785 Travelocity
- $19.95 & up : Economy rentals in Syracuse Hotwire
- Book the Crowne Plaza 3 Nts in May Fr $194+/Nt — $194 Expedia