- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Stretching nearly a mile along the east shore of Cayuga Lake, Aurora has long been one of the prettiest 19th-century villages in upstate New York. Historically sensitive renovations beginning in 2001 freshened a number of commercial and residential buildings on Main Street, where colonial, Federal, and Victorian structures mix with examples of other architectural styles. A cluster of quality restaurants and one-of-a-kind shops helps make this a worthy destination. Wells College, established in 1868, anchors the south end of town. Built into a hillside overlooking Cayuga Lake, Wells was a women-only institution until trustees decided to admit men in 2005.
Aurora at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Finger Lakes
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe