- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Around 28,000 people live in Auburn, an urban outpost in rural Cayuga County. Despite a somewhat shabby downtown, the city has a number of beautiful and remarkably intact buildings dating from the early 1800s. The Auburn Correctional Facility, built in 1817 and still used as a maximum-security state prison, subcontracted inmate labor to local businesses until the 1890s. Cheap prison labor combined with water power streaming in from Owasco Lake and railway transportation routes in every direction conspired to make Auburn one of upstate New York's most important 19th-century industrial centers.
Auburn at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Finger Lakes
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's