- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The headwaters of the Delaware River flow through bucolic Roxbury, meandering past tree-lined streets and the stone walls of 11-acre Kirkside Park.
The area was once known for its dairy farms, the number of which dwindled significantly in the second half of the 20th century. After naturalist John Burroughs (1837-1921) wrote lovingly about his home here and the surrounding mountains, the area captured the interest of city dwellers. In the 19th century Roxbury was shaped by financier Jay Gould and his family, whose fortune was made in railroads and the Western Union Telegraph Co. Ensuing Gould generations used their money philanthropically, building churches and community centers that still stand today.
Roxbury at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Catskills
- Belleayre Mountain Ski Area
- Haines Falls
- Mount Tremper
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $191-$239 -- Midtown Manhattan Hotel incl. Fourth of July — $191-$239 Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue