- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Thick hemlock forests, abundant wildlife, and cool mountain water lured the Mohawk and Dutch, English, and German settlers to this area. In the early 1800s, Zadock Pratt, a tanner in nearby Jewett, saw an opportunity and seized it, using the tannin from the trees to establish a tannery that yielded $500,000 in profits by 1825. To celebrate his success, Pratt built 100 Federal-style buildings in the area, forming Prattsville; 80 of them still stand. Not content to rest on his laurels, Pratt went on to become a banker, and, eventually, a U.S. congressman. These days, second-home owners, out-of-towners, and locals enjoy the slow-paced life here. Main Street is lined with Arts and Crafts bungalows, Victorian houses, and Gothic Revival and Greek Revival buildings.
Elsewhere in The Catskills
- Belleayre Mountain Ski Area
- Haines Falls
- Mount Tremper
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe