Long before trappers and farmers settled in Stamford in 1790, American Indians spent time traveling the trail between the Schoharie Valley and the Catskills. With the advent of the Delaware & Ulster Railroad in 1872 came tourists, and the farms ceded way to boardinghouses, hotels, and inns, earning the village the moniker Queen of the Catskills. The village's heavy reliance on tourism suffered a blow after World War II,
when the automobile became the preferred method of travel. Although many of the old boardinghouses still line the main streets, most have seen better days. Today this sleepy village of 3,000 has big plans that include extensive renovation at the park atop Mt. Utsayantha, which it hopes will help it become a prime tourist destination once again.