- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
F-S Tube and Raft Rentals, a tubing outfitter, offers a 4-mi run down Esopus Creek. A lower 3-mi course encounters milder rapids and is more appropriate for families. (Children must be at least nine years old to go tubing.) The season runs from Memorial Day to the third week in September; $10 covers tube rental and transport. 4 Church St., Phoenicia, NY. 845/688-7633.
The red barn that stands guard as you enter Phoenicia houses the Town Tinker, which has everything you need to spend a day riding the rapids or drifting on the currents of the Esopus. From mid-May through September you can rent tubes for beginner and advanced routes on Esopus Creek between Shandaken and Mount Pleasant. Don't feel like hiking back? Get out at a designated spot for a ride to Phoenicia on the Catskill Mountain Railroad. Tube and transport are $15. Children must be older than 12, and only strong swimmers should consider this. 10 Bridge St., Phoenicia, NY. 845/688-5553. www.towntinker.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's