- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Encompassing 3,000 acres of mostly untouched forest, the Eldred Preserve has several ponds and lakes for bass, trout, and catfish fishing. Unless you fish in the catch-and-release trout pond ($12.50), you must keep and pay for the trout you catch ($2.50 to fish, $4.25 per pound of caught fish). At the preserve's popular restaurant, the kitchen will cook your trout for you. Bass fishing is catch-and-release only; two-person bass-boat rentals are $75 for a full day, and reservations are necessary. Catch-and-release catfish fishing is $15. Other activities here include sporting clays and deer and turkey hunting. There are also motel rooms (¢) in rustic buildings. 1040 Rte. 55, Eldred, NY. 845/557–8316 or 800/557–3474. www.eldredpreserve.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe