Fishing in Mount Tremper
An especially productive area of Esopus Creek is just south of Boiceville (3 mi south of Mount Tremper), near the Ashokan Reservoir, where anglers cast for smallmouth bass and walleye in addition to wild rainbow trout, brown trout, and brook trout.
Ed's Fly Fishing & Guide Services can teach you to fly-fish for trout in Esopus Creek or the Delaware or Neversink rivers for $150 a day. Because Ed doesn't take out more than three people at a time, personal attention is pretty much guaranteed. Book several weeks in advance—especially in spring and fall—and be sure to secure a New York State fishing permit. 69 Ridge Rd., Shokan, NY. 845/657–6393.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's