- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The sprawling Hunter Mountain ski area has 53 trails on 240 acres, where you may ski, snowboard, snow tube, and snowshoe. In the Catskill Forest Preserve, Hunter has full snowmaking capability—a definite boon when natural conditions are less than optimal. The 3,200-foot peak offers a 1,600-foot vertical drop; 11 lifts move you up the slope. Fifteen of the trails are set aside for beginners, 8 are designed for double-black-diamond skiers, and about 16 are for intermediates. Full-day lift tickets are $52. Rentals and instruction are available. From May to early October, mountain bikers take over. The single-track trails run through dense forest and cross streams, and a lift transports bikers to the summit. Fly-fishing instruction and guidance also are available. Throughout summer and fall, music and ethnic festivals are held here. Rte. 23A, Hunter, NY. 518/263–4223 or 800/486–8376. www.huntermtn.com.
At the Mountain Trails Cross Country Ski Center, you can cross-country ski 21 mi of groomed, wooded trails at the beginner, intermediate, or expert level, secure in the knowledge that the National Ski Patrol is on the beat. The lodge has a snack bar and rents snowshoes, cross-country skis, and sleds. Rt. 23A between Hunter and Tannersville, Hunter, NY. 518/589-5361. www.mtntrails.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Ski Areas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's