Fishing in Hunter
The Hunter Mountain Expeditions offers fly-fishing instruction, guide services, and equipment rentals from April through November. Once enrolled, you can expect to spend the day on Schoharie or Esopus creek, casting for rainbow, brown, or brook trout or bass. You must have a valid New York State fishing license. Rte. 23A, Hunter, NY. 518/263-4223, 518/263-4666, or 800/486-8376. www.huntermtn.com.
Devil's Path, in the Westkill Mountain Wilderness area of the Catskills, winds through the Stony Clove mountain pass and around natural rock formations. Follow the red trail markers for the scenic 7-mi hike to the summit of Westkill Mountain (3,880 feet). The trailhead is at the north end of the parking lot at the Devil's Tombstone Campground, at Diamond Notch Lake. To get here from Hunter proper, take Route 23A east to Route 214 and head south for 4 mi. Off Rte. 214, Hunter, NY. 607/652-7365, 607/652-5076, or 607/652-5063. www.dec.ny.gov.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's