- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Haines Falls was once filled with tanneries and mills as well as mountain houses where wealthy urbanites came to play. For much of the 19th century the famous Catskill Mountain House, which stood near North-South Lake and the stunning Kaaterskill Falls, provided a respite to denizens of the increasingly industrialized cities to the south. Things have slowed down quite a bit in this hamlet, but the natural world is still the main attraction. Haines Falls also benefits from the overflow of visitors to nearby Hunter Mountain, which draws thousands of skiers each winter.
Haines Falls at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Catskills
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's