- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With several ski resorts and hundreds of trails, the Catskill Mountains draw hordes of skiers. The northern Catskills, home to the region's main ski resorts—Hunter, Belleayre, and Windham, as well as the smaller and quieter Plattekill—see most of the action. Many skiers come for the weekend from the metro New York area, satisfied with vertical drops of 1,100 to 1,600 feet. The drive's not bad either: about 2½ to 3 hours from New York City. Buses also serve the ski areas. Facilities offer lessons and trails for all levels of experience. Snowboarding and snow tubing in terrain parks are popular, too, in part thanks to the superlative snowmaking abilities of the area resorts. Winters here are usually long and cold, allowing for the season to stretch to six months.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's