- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Canoeing and Kayaking
The Class II–III Esopus Creek, which parallels Route 28 in and around Phoenicia, is a popular spot for canoeing and kayaking. Regulated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, releases from the nearby Schoharie Reservoir help maintain optimal conditions for recreational use of the creek waters—and create some awesome rapids. Contact the DEC for water-release schedules and additional information. 845/256–3161 Esopus water-release information. www.dec.ny.gov.
If you're looking for a something tamer, try the Delaware River; public-access spots are scattered between Long Eddy and Port Jervis.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe