- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cyclists will find a mix of endurance-testing hills and flat straightaways. Throughout the region you can find marked bike trails, wide country roads, and no-vehicles-allowed rail trails. Bike-rental locations and tourism offices can provide information about specific routes.
In its online biking guide, the Sullivan County Visitor's Association outlines 14 suggested rides. 100 North St., Monticello, NY, 12701. 800/882-2287. www.scva.net.
The Delaware County Chamber of Commerce has information about the 19-mi Catskill Scenic Trail—an old railway path—and lists five bike routes on its Web site. 114 Main St., Delhi, NY, 13753. 607/746–2281. www.delawarecounty.org.
For challenging mountain biking, head for the ski resorts in the off-season, when they turn their trails over to two-wheeled enthusiasts. (The Ski Plattekill resort is one of the top mountain-biking spots in North America.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe