- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Whiteface Mountain Ski Center. Owned by the state of New York and operated by the Lake Placid Olympic Regional Development Authority, this is one of the biggest ski centers in the East. It has 10 lifts, 75 trails, 95% snowmaking, and a vertical drop of 3,430 feet—the largest such drop in the East. Experts have 44% of the trails, intermediates 36%, and beginners 20%. The views from the top are unmatched (nearly 100 mi in good visibility). Facilities include a snowboard park, rentals, a school, children's programs, and restaurants. Day passes are $89. The ski season usually runs late November to early April. Mountain bikes take over the slopes from mid-June to early October. Trail passes are $10. Rentals and gondola passes are also available. Even if you don't plan to bike, you can ride the Cloudsplitter Gondola ($17) to the top of Little Whiteface (3,676 feet), where there's an observation deck and a picnic area. Rte. 86, Wilmington, NY. 518/946–2223; 518/946–7171 for snow conditions. www.whiteface.com..
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's