- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For information on the village, stop by the Sackets Harbor Heritage Area Visitors Center, where displays focus on the harbor's role in the War of 1812. 301 W. Main St., Sackets Harbor, NY, 13685. 315/646–2321. www.sacketsharborny.com. Late May–Columbus Day, daily 10–5.
Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway. Trekking the Seaway Trail is a trip you'll remember for a lifetime. The 500-plus-mi trail has views of the St. Lawrence Seaway, Lake Ontario, the Niagara River, and Lake Erie. It spans New York and Pennsylvania. The road wends through tranquil farmland, beautiful shore, and dozens of small towns and their restaurants, lodgings, museums, art galleries, and shopping opportunities. There are lighthouses and many historical buildings and churches.
If your time is limited, take the portion of the byway that links Sackets Harbor on the Seaway to Massena, at the edge of the Thousand Islands region. From Sackets Harbor, follow the coast, beginning on Rte. 12E. Stay on this road, which becomes Rte. 12. The byway ends just outside Croil Island State Park, Sackets Harbor, NY. 315/646-1000. www.seawaytrail.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's