- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Van Auken's Inne
At a Glance
- live music on the porch some nights
- some residents say the restaurant isn't as good as it was a few years ago
Van Auken's Inne Review
Built in 1891 as a boardinghouse for lumberjacks, this historic country inn is easily identified by its two-story porch with rockers. Guest rooms, all on the second floor, have antiques and quilts; bed configurations vary from a double to two queens or a king. In the restaurant you can order a wide range of seafood or regional recipes like vodka riggies (rigatoni) or greens—a mix of sautéed escarole, cherry peppers, mozzarella, and bacon. The tavern also serves food, but you might want to try the "Fresh Seafood on the Porch" event, which features grilled seafood and live music.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
We have tickets to see Fun Home at the Public Theater in Mid January.
We generally stay on the UWS where I grew up but think it might be fun to stay downtown . Any hotel recs? Under $300 if possible.
We Read more