- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
High Falls Gorge
High Falls Gorge Review
A spectacular 700-foot waterfall and ancient granite cliffs are highlights of the self-guided tour of this gorge. It was created as the Ausable River cut through the granite base of Whiteface Mountain. In winter, you can rent snowshoes, skis, or snowboards. Nearby are a shop, restaurant, and picnic areas. There are only two seasons to visit here: summer and winter.
- Address: Rte. 86 at Wilmington Notch, Wilmington, NY 12946 | Map It
- Phone: 518/946–2278
- Cost: $13.50
- Hours: May, June, Sept., and Oct., daily 9–5; July and Aug., daily 9–5:30; late Nov.–mid-Dec., Fri.–Tues. 10–4; mid-Dec.–Mar., daily 10–4
- Website: www.highfallsgorge.com
- Location: Wilmington
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
We have tickets to see Fun Home at the Public Theater in Mid January.
We generally stay on the UWS where I grew up but think it might be fun to stay downtown . Any hotel recs? Under $300 if possible.
We Read more