- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The two main roads through the southern and central Adirondacks are Routes 28 and 30. Route 28 forms an east-west arc from Warrensburg, a few miles from Lake George, through Old Forge (and continuing toward Utica). Route 30 reaches north from Amsterdam in the Mohawk River valley, passing through Tupper Lake, Saranac Inn, and Paul Smiths on its way into Canada. The two routes run together for about 11 mi between Indian Lake and Blue Mountain Lake, the approximate geographical center of the Adirondacks. Route 28N makes a northerly swing from Route 28 at North Creek before veering west and joining Route 30 at Long Lake, 11 mi north of Blue Mountain Lake. Route 8, which enters the region in the southwest corner, joins Route 30 in Speculator and is the major road in the southwestern part of Adirondack Park.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's