- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The real white-water daredevils like to put their kayaks and canoes into the river in spring, after the runoff from the snowmelt has swollen the waters. The most popular runs for adventurous rafters are along the Indian River from Indian Lake and then on to the Hudson River leading to North Creek. The Hudson River Gorge offers 17 mi of class III and IV white water. Also, Moose River has 14 mi of class V rapids. If you want tamer waters, consider summer family rafting and tubing on the Sacandaga River.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Adirondack River Outfitters offers one-day rafting trips on the Hudson, Black, and Moose rivers and tubing and family rafting on the Sacandaga River. Trips include shuttle, equipment, guides, snacks, and drinks. Rte. 9N S, Old Forge, NY, 13420. 800/525-7238. www.aroadventures.com.
From April through October, the well-known Hudson River Rafting Company runs rafting trips for experts as well as beginners. Trips may include camping behind its Hudson River base. 1 Main St., North Creek, NY, 12853. 518/251-3215 or 800/888-7238. www.hudsonriverrafting.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe