- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Historic Lewiston Review
During the War of 1812, the Americans made a failed attempt to invade Canada from Lewiston, in the Battle of Queenston. The town has further historic significance as the last stateside stop on the Underground Railroad and as the birthplace of Niagara Falls; today's Niagara Gorge is the result of the falls' movement south to their current location. This community of 2,700 is a clean, quiet, small-town contrast with Niagara Falls, which is about a 10-minute drive south. Center Street, lined with restaurants, shops, a pub, and a café, leads down to the waterfront, where the Barton Hill Hotel and Whirlpool Jet Boat launch are located. Lewiston has a virtually nonstop festival calendar in summer, with waterfront concerts almost daily.
The Historical Association of Lewiston, Inc. has information about events and attractions. 469 Plain St., Lewiston, 14092. 716/754–4214. www.historiclewiston.org.
- Address: Center St. between N. 9th St. and the waterfront, Niagara Falls, NY
- Location: Niagara Falls
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Hi! Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more