Niagara Falls and Western New York Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Niagara Falls and Western New York Restaurant Reviews
Fast-food chains are well represented in Niagara, and apart from a few good Italian and hotel-restaurant options, it's best to make the trip to Lewiston (7 mi north), Buffalo, or Niagara-on-the-Lake (in Canada) for an above-average meal.
Buffalo has given the world two classics: Buffalo chicken wings and beef on weck. You'll come across both throughout the region. The former is served mild, medium, or hot, alongside blue-cheese dressing and celery. The latter consists of roast beef, carved on the spot, and heaped on a fresh, flaky kimmelweck roll that has been sprinkled with coarse salt.
In the Chautauqua-Allegany region, finding anything other than American or (often Americanized) Continental cuisine is rare. A few restaurants stand out for their excellent use of abundant farm-fresh local produce, especially around Chautauqua.
Casual dress is usually acceptable and reservations usually aren't necessary at any but the priciest restaurants. Outside Buffalo, restaurants may close by 9 pm for dinner, and in smaller towns, many restaurants are closed Sunday evenings and Monday. In the Chautauqua area, some restaurants open only in the summer season.
Browse Niagara Falls and Western New York Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's