- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Parks and Natural Areas
The 202-acre Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park is primarily visited for its performing- and visual-arts facilities, but you may also fish, hike, picnic, and cross-country ski here. Summer brings a slew of family-oriented events and activities.
Fort Niagara State Park is at the edge of the Niagara River where it empties into Lake Ontario, 15 mi north of Niagara Falls. Facilities include picnic tables, swimming pools, hiking trails, fishing access, a boat-launch site, and playgrounds. In winter you may cross-country ski or sled here. The grounds surround the Old Fort Niagara complex. 1 Maintenance Ave., off Rte. 18F and Robert Moses Pkwy., Youngstown, NY, 14174. 716/745–7273. nysparks.state.ny.us. $6 per car mid-June–early Sept. Daily dawn–dusk.
Hiking trails along the Niagara Gorge wind through Whirlpool State Park; some lead down 300 feet into the gorge, where you may fish.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's