- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fredonia and Dunkirk
Dunkirk, one of the few harbors along the east coast of Lake Erie, was named after Dunkerque in northern France, and in 1851 became the terminus of the longest railroad in the world. Dunkirk's historic lighthouse was built in 1875 and is still operating. The town has a tiny boardwalk with a few craft and gift shops fronting the marina, next to the Clarion Hotel, but not much else.
About 4 mi inland across Interstate 90 is the pretty village of Fredonia. It's home to Fredonia State University (better known as SUNY Fredonia), a provider of several cultural opportunities.
Fredonia and Dunkirk lie in a grape- and wine-producing area. The Chautauqua-Lake Erie Wine Trail begins just north of Fredonia along Route 20.
Fredonia and Dunkirk at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Niagara Falls and Western New York
- Allegany State Park
- Bemus Point
- Chautauqua and Mayville
- Darien Lakes State Park
- East Aurora
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $88.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Jamestown Hotwire
- Hampton Inn and Suites Jamestown, NY in Jun: $165 & Up Save with Expedia, $25/night less
- Days Inn at the Falls Biggest Sale! 3 Nts + Air Fr $552 Travelocity
- $32.86 & up : Full Size rentals in Jamestown Hotwire
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Jamestown Fr $179+/Nt — $179 Expedia