Niagara Falls and Western New York Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Niagara Falls and Western New York
Seeing Niagara Falls. An awesome display of natural power that should not be missed, the falls is worth a stop even for a half hour. But if you have time, see it from the Canadian side for superior views.
Falls tours. While you're next to the waterworks, make time for at least one tour—Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, or the White Water Walk—and maybe also a cable car over the whirlpool, a fast-paced boat ride with Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours, or a helicopter ride over the thundering waters.
Buffalo. The state's second-largest city, dating from 1804, has historic buildings, a handful of Frank Lloyd Wright structures, some worthwhile art museums, and the region's top restaurants, music, and theater.
The Chautauqua Institution. This summer-long program of lectures, workshops, and performances has been the number one attraction in southwestern New York since Victorian times.
Allegany State Park. An amazing 65,000-acre expanse of woodsy trails, hilltop views, lakes, and campsites makes for the nature-lover's ultimate playground.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Niagara Falls for Less: Hotels Fr $60+/Nt Travelocity
- $73.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Buffalo Hotwire
- Last Minute Vacation Sale! 2 Nts Buffalo + Air Fr $617 Travelocity
- $30.00 & up : Compact rentals in Niagara Falls Hotwire
- Niagara Falls Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $144+/Nt — $144 Expedia